Project Wonderful

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Teen Titans: A Kid's Game (Trade Paperback) - DC Comics


Teen Titans . . . can't say that I have ever read anything about the team besides the Uncanny X-Men and The New Teen Titans crossover from 1982 . . . and I read that probably in the late 1980's . . . and I can't say that I have any memory as to what happened in that comic (maybe I'll have to read it again) but it is the only connection I can think of that I have to the Teen Titans.

I bought this trade because the Boarders bookstore in my town was closing and there were great discounts to be had and I tried to get as many trades as I could afford before they shut the doors. I got A Kid's Game for $4.99 which is a great price but when I got home I found that the cover is detached from the spine so I'm pretending that it is a slipcase edition and it's cooler than everyone else's copy (yes I know I need help.)

So the reason for buying this besides the super sale price was to try to get to know a little more about the characters in the DC Universe. And maybe get introduced to a few that I had never heard of or never read about very much about in my brief knowledge of DC Comics.

The book is set up where a new team of Teen Titan's is forming and most of the young heroes are being sent to be part of the team by a mentor hero like Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. The group is set up as a weekend warrior type thing for these kids and they will go back to their regular lives after the weekend is over. So the young heroes are brought together and almost instantly they are confronted with an attack by Deathstroke who is bound and determined to kill one of the Titans so that their will be no more groups of children brought together as a super team.

The speedster Impulse is shot in the knee by Deathstroke and the Justice League shows up with fighting amongst friends quickly ensuing over mixed beliefs on how things are to be with the team. Starfire and Wonder Woman clash, Impulse full of angst goes a little tantrum-ish and becomes Kid Flash no matter what anyone says.

The book set's up friendships between Robin and Superboy, Impulse and Wondergirl and a blooming romance between Superboy and Wondergirl and gives lots of room to grow. My favorite line in many years of reading comics has to be when Wondergirl states to Robin ". . . wait a second. You just lied to Starfire?!" and he responds with "I lie to Batman." To me that is how you know Robin is the real deal.

By the end of this book the terms of the team are settled the JLA and Teen Titans are in agreement how things will work, but I think Wonder Woman isn't happy about it, a twist in Deathstroke's character is revealed and Superboy gets a dog.

I really enjoyed this book and will try to find more of the trades in the future. Another small note Deathstroke has one of my favorite costumes of all times and was the sole reason I bought many issues of the Deathstroke: The Terminator series back in the early 1990's . . . he's also an awesome villain.

This book also includes Cover pages and sketch cover art, Mike McKone's sketches, and a character description pages of all the Teen Titans and Deathstroke.

192 pages Trade paperback
Geoff Johns - writer
Mike McKone - pencils
Marlo Alquiza - inks
Jeromy Cox - colors
Comicraft - colors
Covers and backup art by Michael Turner
Other artist featured on backup section.

Thanks for reading,
Kevin P. Johnson
Copyright © 2010 Kevin P. Johnson

Images are copyright © 2011 DC and Marvel Comics are used as Fair Use Review images only. Images will be removed upon the request of DC or Marvel Comics.


2 comments:

Jessie said...

I like the Teen Titans. What I remember the most is the old original line up with Deathstroke's son, Jericho, before he was killed. Some really good stories came from that title back in the day. I'm glad to see it's coming back. Now only if I had money to buy comics.

KevinJ1971 said...

well its not exactly new its been out a while . . . and I did mention a twist with Deathstroke right?